Sep 21, 2011

Change as the Season Does

Its funny how at Labor Day time the weather just changes. Every year whether the summer has been hot, mild, rainy, sunny, you supply the adjective, during the first week of September the weather will suddenly change to fall.

Autumn is my favorite time of year. I hate what comes after, the dreaded ‘W’ word. But fall is simply wonderful. The nights are cool, the AC is off, sleep is a dream.  I get back into my jeans, sweatshirts, etc. Although I no longer have children at home I can identify with the mothers who cheer at the thought of school starting.

The air has a different quality that is marvelous. Illinois summers mean humidity. At the turn of the calendar to September the humidity switch is turned off and even if the days are in the high 80’s they are pleasant rather than a sauna.

I change also. I turn to other interests. Gardening, other than the basics, leaves my mind. This year, since I retired from my volunteer job at church, I have the time to sew which, for a number of years, I haven’t had the time to do.

I’ve been a quilter for many years but my focus this year has turned to garments. I have a ten month old granddaughter, the cutest ever. I found several cute dress patterns online.  I cut fabric I had on hand and the pieces are now in the wash getting ready for cutting out. In the washer,also, is some fabric for a jumper for me. I can’t wait for them to dry so I can go into the studio, fancy word for basement, and begin the process of creating with fabric.

Fall, change of weather, change of season, change of interests. What a wonderful time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughtful comments are always welcome. Those which contain fowl language will be rejected.